My latest tweets

Monday, January 24, 2011

Larry Bird Trash Talk (excerpt from The Book of Basketball)

-
Bill Simmons, my biggest inspiration as a writer, wrote an amazing book that attempts to chronicle the life of professional basketball, specifically the NBA.  I haven't read all of it yet (it's 700 flippin' pages long), but I've read enough to know I really want to keep on keepin' on.

Simmons released an updated paperback edition of the book in early December, with "FRESH TAKES ON LEBRON, KOBE, THE CELTICS & MORE," according to the cover, along with more hilarious footnotes.  Naturally it was on the top of my Christmas list; it was under fifteen bucks on Amazon, so it was an easy gift.

I always knew that Larry Bird was one of the league's best trash talkers from watching videos like this.  In all the footage I've watched, there was a story I didn't hear about, which Bill covered in a footnote on page 17:
26. My personal favorite: Bird once told Indiana's Chuck Person before a game that he had a Christmas present for him.  During the game, he made a three in front of the Pacers' bench, turned to Person and said, "Merry f*cking Christmas."


The Book of Basketball is available for only $12.24 right now on Amazon.com.
Read Bill's column on ESPN.com.
----------
What I'm Listening To Right Now: The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Voodoo Chile
(something new I'm doing: if I'm listening to a song when I'm writing a post, I'll tell you what it is.)

No comments:

Post a Comment