Yeap, today is the anniversary of my introduction to the world, nineteen years ago. I'm finally old enough to take advantage of the Canadian legal drinking age, which is something I will do a lot because I love drinking alcohol (except that's not true at all).
I'm a card-carrying member since early this morning.
Other than my birth, the 22nd is not the most historically significant day on the calendar, but it has its fair share of curiosities. For example, on January 22nd:
- The Act Zluky (English = "Unification Act") was signed in 1919, unifying the Ukraine People's Republic and the West Ukraine People's Republic into one Ukranian state.
- The debut of the iconic Apple "1984" advertisement.
- The birth of R&B singer Sam Cooke (1931), INXS singer Michael Hutchence (1960), hip-hop producer and "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" co-star DJ Jazzy Jeff (1965), Mariners second baseman Chone Figgins (1978) and Portland Trailblazers
playerbench presence Greg Oden ( 18881988).
- Thomas Edison submitted a patent for a device that allows somebody to more effectively watch their friend sleep in 1879.
- Kmart filed for bankruptcy in 2002.
- The Battle of Isandlwana, the first major encounter of the Anglo-Zulu War (the coolest-sounding war ever) took place in 1879
- Australian star of "The Dark Night" Heath Ledger was found dead in 2008.
In case you didn't figure it out, one of those things is not true. In case you just don't get it and thought I made up the Anglo-Zulu War, look at this clip from Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job!: