My latest tweets

Sunday, September 5, 2010

"Society" by Eddie Vedder

I don't typically post on the weekends, especially Sundays, but I have two points I'd like to address. First, thank you guys for viewing my blog over 1,000 times in the first month. It's more than I expected, and I appreciate your appreciation of my writing. As I've said before, this blog is just a way for me to practice and improve my writing skills and to rant about what's on my mind, and anybody reading it is icing on the cake.

Imagine if this was a voodoo cake.

Point two: Have y'all ever seen the movie "Into the Wild"? It came out in 2007, is based on the book by John Krakauer, and stars the immensely talented Emile Hirsch. It tells the true story of Christopher McCandless, who, not to spoil the movie if you haven't seen it and wish to (which you should, it's one of the best movies I've ever seen), abandoned society with the ultimate goal of surviving the Alaskan wilderness alone. It is an excellent movie, I'm sure the book's great too (I haven't read it yet, but plan to), and a really touching story. Avid fans of McCandless' tale have ventured to the "magic bus" featured in the book and movie (and filmed themselves doing so) in hopes of getting a small feel of McCandless' journey. This is certainly an endeavor to add to my list of life goals; the list so far consists of going to Ireland (done), seeing U2 in concert (done), write for a newspaper or website (in progress), climb a mountain (will get done next weekend), other things I can't think of, and visit the magic bus.

The soundtrack is also top notch, serving as Eddie Vedder's (of Pearl Jam) debut solo album. It's written entirely by Vedder, except for what I feel are the two best songs, "Hard Sun" and "Society." The latter is the reason for this post: I edited together a music video for Society, which vaguely summarizes the movie. If the previous paragraph put the desire in your head to see this movie, then you might not want to watch the video. If you've already seen it or don't care about the spoiler, then have a look, and tell me what you think:


-----
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment