My latest tweets

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Poutine

Geeksaresexy.net wrote a post in 2007 about one of my favorite foods, poutine. It might seem strange that I'm talking about a blog post from 3 years ago, but Neatorama reposted it this morning, which is where I read it. The reason I mention it is I feel the need to correct a few points. Now, where do I get off thinking I am the czar of poutine, you may be asking? Well, I essentially live in Canada, and poutine is a popular dish around here in northern Maine. It is a French-Canadian food, and my family could not be any more French (it's practically the primary language) or Canadian (it's my mother's birthland).

This is the actual Czar of Poutine.

So, here's where Geeksaresexy got it wrong:

1. "The poutine (poo-teen) is a very versatile dish..." That's the pronunciation for those who aren't well-versed in the French accent. I can't blame them, the author is Canadian and more often than not, I've heard Canadians pronounce it poo-teen. If you want to sound legit when discussing one of the world's finest foods, however, pronounce it "puts-in."

2. They mention "poutine sauce." It's gravy. Just put gravy on it.

Ignore that ketchup, it's not part of the poutine experience.

3. According to them, the primary way to prepare poutine is with cheese curds, which is fair enough, I've seen it done that way many times. However, they go wrong when they write, "you can use grated cheddar or mozzarella, but it's not as good." That could not be further from the truth. I always prepare it with shredded mozzarella, because it's more commonly found in the fridge, it's the way my local restaurants do it, and the cheese is better spread throughout the french fries, providing a much more enjoyable and lactose-proportional dining experience.

4. "Here are a few extras you can add to your poutine." They suggest mutilating your poutine in a variety of ways that'll make your taste buds crawl, including adding onions, chopped hot dogs, peas, fresh dog feces, and switching the gravy with marinara sauce (I might have made one of those up). I've seen people add ground beef to a poutine and brand it "royal poutine," and for me, even that's pushing it. Don't ruin the integrity of the poutine, stick to fries, cheese, and gravy.

And my last point: "Sounds disgusting? Maybe, but it's absolutely delicious." I don't understand how it might sound disgusting: french fries, cheese, gravy, done. Then again, perhaps my lifelong expose to it has blinded me from the idea that it might sound like a Frankenstein monster of what was found in the fridge during a 2-in-the-morning case of the munchies. Leave a comment, and tell me what you think. You ever have poutine? If not, is it something you might want to try? (Trust me, it is). Or does it sound too "disgusting" for you?

-----
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment