My latest tweets

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

An Introduction

I've been thinking about it for a while, and I thought it would be a good idea for me to get a blog. I could use it for practice (I'm going to the University of Maine at Orono at the end of the month to begin my tenure as a journalism major). I can also use it to entertain myself, writing about things that I like to write about, which I will tell you about, but I've gone on for 80 words already (I checked... by hand, couldn't find a stupid word count) without introducing myself.

I am Derrick Rossignol, from a small town in northern Maine, Van Buren, a town that is so close to Canada, I can practically reach out my bedroom window and grab an assortment of Canadian hair dyes. Let me explain myself: it is far from uncommon to see Canadian ladies, usually ones in their 30's or so, with blonde, red, purple and black hair... all on the same head. It looks ridiculous, and the sad thing is, they all think that they look outstandingly attractive.

Looks like this, except with about 6 of these combs staining their hair.

I was raised a sports fan, and to be more specific, I was raised a Celtics fan. Well, except for a good part of the 90's, when essentially everybody was a Bulls fan (and by "Bulls," I mean "Michael Jordan"... or "Dickey Simpkins" if you were an obscurist). I got back to my roots as a Celtics fan around the 2002-03 season, when I was old enough to have the capacity to follow a team for 82 games. I believe I was drawn in by either Tommy Heinsohn's swooning over Walter McCarty (the video description nails their relationship right on the head, defines it perfectly), or the acquisition of inside-presence Mark Bryant (6'9" center) and volume-scorer-and-aptly-named Bimbo Coles (3.7 points per game with Boston). Either way, I was drawn in. While we're talking about the Celtics, I could not be more excited about signing Shaq today. Regardless of what he'll do on the court, he is Dos Equis interesting and unquestionably the man (at the very least, he's better than Kendrick Perkins... hell, Bimbo Coles might have been better than Kendrick Perkins). Anybody who names their pool area "Shaqapulco" can be a Celtic with no argument from me.

Bimbo: personification of the Celtic mystique.

Music is another large part of my life (some songs I'm listening to right now). It first intrigued me some time around 2003, when my uncle showed me U2's Live from Slane Castle DVD (I still get goosebumps when I hear Bono wail like that in the intro). From there, I became obsessed with U2, and from U2, I became obsessed with music. For your reference, some bands I enjoy (shamelessly lifted from my Facebook page) are Led Zeppelin, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jimi Hendrix, Blind Melon, John Mayer, The Doors, Bob Marley, Wolfmother, Neil Young, Fleet Foxes, John Frusciante, and many many more. One for you guys to check out is Davy Knowles and Back Door Slam. If you enjoy blues-rock like I do, have a listen to "Come Home" from their first album, live with a nice extended intro.

Aside from that, I'll also write about what's happening in the world, technology, and some original pieces of writing. Like I said, this blog is writing practice for me, so anybody reading this and enjoying it is a bonus for me. Look forward to me updating this every few days, ideally at least once a week, and have a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment